Monday, February 2, 2015

2015 Goals and Resolutions


As the first month of 2015 comes to a close, I've had some time to truly reflect on what I want to positively change and seek for my life over the course of the coming year. I believe in resolutions and think they are a good excuse to commit to creating new change. This may seem a little cliche - but over the past few years I've enjoyed making a list of goals that correspond to the number of the year. Here are my 15 goals, resolutions and reminders for 2015. 



The theme for my resolutions can be summarized as better self-love and better self-care. I'm leaving the struggles of a relationship ending in the past of 2014, and dedicating 2015 to learning how to love myself on my own. The following is a more detailed explanation of each goal; many are similar and touch on the same topics. I hope they can be inspiring and applicable to your own life!

1) Take better care of yourself.
    I touched on this already, but taking better care of myself physically and mentally is my number one priority. Everything from working out, to getting a more than 5 hours of sleep every night, and just doing things that are good for me.

2) Practice mindfulness daily.
    Mindfulness! This has changed my every day thought process. I've been learning about mindfulness through a book called "The Little Book of Mindfulness" by Dr.Patrizia Collard. At it's simplified essence, mindfulness is about being aware and actively focused on the present moment in time. I struggle with anxiety and though the concept of mindfulness may seem simple it has helped me a lot. It is about slowing down and devoting your undivided attention to what you're doing, with the hopes that you will experience every situation more positively and fully. Examples of this could be enjoying your dinner and focusing on your food instead of scrolling through Instagram, or going on a walk and truly observing your surroundings. 

3) Create more. 
    Create more everything.
    More art, more blog posts, more smiles.

4) Consistently blog and gain traction.
    Honestly this is one of the hardest things on my list, but I really am aiming to dedicate myself to blogging more consistently, creating great content, and gaining a larger audience of readers.

5) Work hard for the UW School of Art. Intern/work for an art gallery this summer.
    I'm currently working for the UW School of Art. I'm an assistant for a public lecture series held at the Henry Art Gallery. The series is held in conjunction with the UW Art 361/595 class and sponsored by The Nebula Project, deeming my official title the "Nebula Assistant." The 5 week lecture series brings in guest artists from all over the world to present their work and artistic experiences. I book the guest artists' hotel and travel reservations and make sure everything goes smoothly during their visit. We are two lectures in and it has been a great experience so far! If you are interested in attending a lecture, more info will be linked here.
    I want to work super hard in my current position with the UW School of Art. However, my position only lasts for the current winter quarter. I'm planning on focusing school spring quarter, but I hope to do big things this summer. I would love the opportunity to work or intern an art gallery. My 4+ years volunteering, interning, and working at the Seattle Art Museum have treated me well, but I want to learn and experience the gallery side of the art world. 

6) Get physically and emotionally stronger.
    Pretty self explanatory. 

7) Start practicing mediation.
   To carry on with the theme of self-betterment and mindfulness, I would love to start meditating. I still need to research this and begin practicing it; I know it can be hard for beginners to get into. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

8) Get the tattoos and piercings you want - just get them.
    I've been set on a specific tattoo idea for over a year now. It is really easy to put off things like tattoos and piercings, but I hope I can actually get my tattoo done at some point this year!

9) Dye your hair. Don't hesitate. Accomplished!
    Through it is something as simple as dying my hair, it feels really good to already be able cross something off my list! I dyed my hair red recently. I spent 6 total hours in a salon to fix a series of unfortunate events related to box hair dye, but it was so worth it! Pictures of my red hair are on my Instagram. 

10) More Zumba and Blogilates.
    This probably should have come after #6...but my favorite ways to exercise are Zumba and Blogilates - Cassey Ho is amazing.

11) Spend more time outside.
    This is also pretty self-explanatory. I just want to spend more time outside! Hopefully this year will bring lots of fun hikes and adventures.

12) More natural things.
    This goes for food, lifestyle, and beauty products. Though my broke college student wallet can't always afford natural and organic options, I want to start using natural alternatives when possible to be more conscious of the environment and my personal health. 

13) Read more.
    Beyond "The Little Book of Mindfulness" (which is about the size of a pocketbook) I can't remember the last time I read a book for pleasure. I make this resolution every year, but I want to try to become more well read in 2015.

14) Say yes more and say no more.
    This may sound contradictory - but it's not as confusing as it may seem. I want to push myself outside of my comfort zone and say "yes" to doing things or going places that I usually might talk myself out of. For example, I will hopefully soon be going skiing with my friends for the first time. I also want to say "no" more to situations that won't benefit me. It is hard for me to say no to people, I would rather compromise myself than let someone down, but saying no is okay and necessary. 

15) Never stop spending money on good coffee and good concerts.
    Coffee and concerts. Two of my favorite things.
I'm all for saving money but I would rather cut back on other things in my life. Good coffee and concerts bring me genuine happiness, especially when with friends. Sometimes buying a near $5 latte in a snobby coffee shop is worth it. 
     I hope to go to many concerts in 2015. I am definitely attending Sam Smith (though it was postponed) and Skizzy Mars (3/24 @ Vera Project). 

Shout out to you if you made it through this super long, writing intensive post!
I hope that some of my goals can help inspire goals in your life. This will also be a good way of looking back and reminding myself of my goals throughout the whole year. 

❁ Cheers friends 

No comments: