Monday, September 1, 2014

Doing This London Thing: Museum Edition

My blogging game hasn't been strong this week. I've been documenting my London travels through Instagram and my sketchbook, but it's been hard to find time to sit down and write. Going forward I'm going to try harder to write short journal style posts at least every other day. For now, here's a comprehensive post of my artistic adventures this past week.

 Tate Modern:

Rainy view from outside the restaurant on floor 6.
Robert Maplethrope
Louis Bourgeois 
Rainy St.Paul's and other people's coffee.

Saatchi Gallery:
Jackie Saccioccio
Keltie Ferris
Keltie Ferris
Lisa Anne Auerbach
An entire room filled with oil. A crazy, lucid, reflective, dimensional experience.
Richard Wilson
Cute little wooden postcards/ room decor from Saatchi store. 

White Chapel Gallery:
Laure Prouvost
Basement bathroom selfie, sketchbook in hand.
Reading room

British Museum: Day I and II
On my program's first day here, we toured the "8 mummies, 8 lives" exhibition. No photography allowed, but amazing.
On my second day here, I went on an "Around the World in 90 Minutes" tour. It was a lot of information to take in and felt overwhelming. I don't regret it, but I found most of my favorite pieces separate from the tour.The British Museum has 96 galleries and I probably got through 10 of them, third and fourth trips are necessary.
Ivory box narrating courtly love.


9th century Anglo-Saxon brooch, highlighting the 5 senses. "Sight" is shown in the center with bulging eyes.

National Gallery: 
We toured part of the National Gallery with the charming Ben Street;  a freelance art historian and fascinating tour guide.
Van Gogh's sunflowers
Seurat
We revisited the National Gallery to see the special exhibition "Making Colour". The Gallery arranged works in it's collection by color; there were rooms of red paintings, blue, green, etc. Each room also had details about how certain paint and pigments were created, and an in depth history of color. "Making Colour" was fascinating and flawlessly curated. 

❁ A similar style post to this is coming soon, a comprehensive photo diary of my non-museum adventures. After I catch up on posting photos, hopefully I'll be able to post more in-depth daily blogs.

Cheers friends!

No comments: