Friday, April 10, 2015

Spring Break & Recent Adventures [Photo Diary]


March was a really good month for me. Some amazing people have changed my life and new opportunities have come my way which I am very thankful for. I also somehow survived winter quarter in (mostly) one piece and my finals went well. Spring break was a necessary refresh and break from reality.  I figured I could turn my recent photos and adventures into photo diary post, as I am reminiscing about the fun "stay-cation" week I had in Seattle. Enjoy my spring break photos and a few shots from the past few weeks! Museums, macarons, concerts, cherry blossoms and more!   




My most recent project has been my first attempt at curating and hanging an art show! My friend Alec gathered work an amazing collection of work all relevant to global health narratives and issues. The UW Global Health Undergraduate Leadership Committee, with Alec's leadership and my artistic direction, came together to display "The Panacea Project" show, which currently up at Cafe Solstice in U-District. 

I have always foreseen a future career in curating and would love to design large scale museum exhibitions one day. Figuring out how to arrange a diverse collection of work in an aesthetically pleasing way was a challenge, as were our less-than-professional materials used to hang up everything, but we made it work and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. 

Speaking of Alec, one of my favorite spring break adventures was exploring Capitol Hill with him and our friend Greta. Our day ended with ice cream from the shop Hello Robin, but began with brunch at Oddfellows and a trip to the Frye Art Museum. 


Frye Art Museum

The first of the three current exhibits at the Frye we saw was "1900: Adornment for the Home and Body." The exhibit features 200 objects by artists and designers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many of these objects included beautiful ornamental prints published in Saxony between 1905 and 1906.
W.Meinelt. Plate 59. 

Greta is really good at taking sneaky museum candids of me.

But I am also good at taking them of her.

The second exhibit, "Pan: A Graphic Arts Time Capsule of Europe," features a collection of graphic prints and paintings from 1895-1900. In conversation with the exhibit 1900, this show visualizes the transition between the 19th and 20th centuries, along with the development of abstraction. 
Paul Signac. Evening, The Pier at Flessingue. 1898.


The third and final exhibition currently at Frye had the most "wow" factor. Future Ruins, the solo project of Seattle artist Rodrigo Valenzuela, features everything from video installations, to abstract paintings, to an overall industrial ambiance. Valenzuela's show is in part response to recent transformations of global wealth and the technological elite in Seattle [fryemuseum.org].



Construction site or art gallery? You decide.

Ballard Farmer's Market
I always enjoy showing friends all my favorite little nooks and cranny's of my childhood neighborhood, Ballard. My brunch buddy and fellow macaron connoisseur, Greta, and I ventured to Ballard to wander their Sunday farmer's market, We satisfied our perpetual macaron craving at the local bakery, Fresh Flours. In addition to sharing my passion for macarons, Greta is also a blogger! She also wrote posts about our Frye Art Museum and Ballard visits. Check out her blog here.


This picture is the essence of Greta.


My favorite kind of rainbow.

The macarons didn't stop there, here a few more shots of my favorite dessert from a little while ago, also with Greta of course.



Concerts upon concerts
Please excuse the low quality, low lit concert photos, it's hard to get good pictures at shows sometimes. Regardless, concerts were a big part of my spring break. 

Skizzy Mars at the Vera Project  
I've seen him open before for G-Eazy, but it was great to see him again for his first headlining tour. Especially accompanied by Jack, and my usual concert buddies Darienne and Kayley.

My first time at El Corazon, for the Mod Sun show. I have no better way to describe Mod Sun besides "hippy rap." Other artists I love such as Blackbear and Gnash opened.

And then Mod Sun took his shirt off in excitement...

Random Explorations

May or may not have gotten a tattoo over spring break. More details in my next post!

Found my new favorite coffee shop, Bauhaus books + coffee. Good vibes and even better mochas.

Paint the Town with my friend Anna! I will always seek any opportunity to paint cute ceramics. I had fun making two little coasters, such an affordable and fun activity!

Caught up with some of my long time best friends. They are the only thing I miss about high school.

Spring is in the air
The UW cherry blossoms are always at their prime during the week of our spring break, lucky I got some pretty shots before they started to fade and wilt. 




Back at the school grind now...

I hope you had a great spring break, if you don't get a spring break then I hope you are having an enjoyable spring so far! Cheers friends!

No comments: