I've been obsessed with jewelry since I was a little girl. I can't remember a point in my life where I wasn't sporting some kind of accessory, even if it was made of plastic and had a Hello Kitty or Jonas Brothers or logo on it. Throughout the years as my jewelry taste has refined and my collection has grown, I've found several pieces that I wear every day. I love layering jewelry and using accessories to complete an outfit, but these go-to pieces are my baseline. The one or two days a year when I forget to put on one of these pieces, I feel incomplete. They have become a part of me. I thought it would be fun to share where my everyday treasures are from and some of the significance behind them. I also have two simple jewelry-related life hacks if you read until the end!
The other little silver bracelet I wear I literally found hanging in from a bush. I was walking home from class one day and something in a bush caught my eye; I discovered it was bracelet. It is real sterling and hasn't left my wrist since I found it. The ironic part is that about a week after I found it I lost another bracelet of mine. Jewelry karma is real guys. Worth it though.
Rings: (Left Hand)
- Ring finger: I adore my cute little abalone shell ring from my boyfriend. It was a birthday gift we picked out together from a local boutique on Bainbridge Island, I can't remember the boutique name but the ring is from Boma Jewelry. The ring was ever-so-slightly too big and it didn't seem worth it to find a shop to resize it, so I purchased a small silver band to wear with it, to prevent it from slipping off. The ring band is from the Etsy shop "Fabulous Rocks."
- Middle finger: This "Inhale/Exhale" ring set is from the UK brand "Shop Dixi." I bought a non-sterling silver version of this same set last fall. The rings eventually tarnished too much to wear without turning my finger green and I gave up on them. To my luck, Shop Dixi later came out with a new sterling silver edition, which I now wear. I have struggled with anxiety for years, and these rings are my constant reminder to slow down, breathe, and relax.
- Thumb: I love thumb rings. I don't know why but my left thumb feels super awkward without one. I used to wear a double banded wave ring on my thumb, but lost one of the bands. Since then, I've been wearing this hamsa ring. This is also from Etsy, from the shop TeriLeeJewelry. Hamsa hands are a symbol of good luck and protection.
Rings: (Right Hand)
- Index finger: Though these rings don't match, I love wearing them together because of how they fit and feel. The bottom one was thrifted from Fremont Sunday Market years ago. The rose is a Pandora ring and was a birthday gift from my friend Isabel.
- Ring finger: Of any of my rings, these two are the most significant. I have worn these two rings together for at least 5 years. The band on the bottom was a gift from my mom when I graduated middle school. The ring is from Ben Bridge and has three small diamonds on it. Though my mom didn't present the ring with this meaning, I think of the three diamonds as symbolizing my mom, dad, and brother.
The "Love" ring above it is from Fuego and also from my mom. Just like my abalone ring, it is also from the brand Boma Jewelry. This ring has a cute story. My freshman year of high school my mom gave me this ring. I appreciated it and liked it, but didn't wear it frequently. A few months later for Christmas, my mom mistakenly bought me the exact same ring. I was so amused by this that I began to wear it every day. It has gotten so much wear that it has deformed to an oval shape over time to fit my finger.
Necklace:
I love all jewelry, but I have never really been a necklace person. I favor rings and bracelets, so me wanting to wear a necklace every day is a big deal. My mom's friend gave me this gorgeous and simple quartz necklace for my birthday. It is from Something Silver, I wish I could own every single piece of jewelry from that store (insert heart eye emoji).
Earrings:
I'm really boring when it comes to earrings. I rarely every take these out and wear anything different. The little square is from Nordstrom, and the circle stud is from Claire's...haven't changed that one since I got it pieced sophomore year of high school, but it works for me.
Nose piercing:
I rebelliously got my nose pierced on my 18th birthday, but still love it just the same two years later. I got my piercing done at Seattle's renowed Slave to the Needle. My nose piercing transitions me to the next portion of this post, simple jewelry life hacks! The first being a trick for infected piercings.
Life Hack #1:
My nose piercing has only gotten infected one time, using tea tree essential oil cleared up my infection super quickly! Tea tree should be used in small amounts and has the ability to heal topical infections. Though my piercing is healed I still use this from time to time to keep it clean.
Life Hack #2:
Another favorite trick of mine involves clear nail polish. I have found that most rings from stores like Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters are NOT high quality metal. Even if a ring looks like sterling silver, it is likely copper coated in silver. We all have had jewelry we love tarnish, chip, and turn our fingers green. Coating a ring with clear nail polish before wearing will protect the coating and prolong wear before tarnishing. Clear nail polish is in general a life saver (it can also stop rips/runs on tights).
Comment below if you would like to see a post about my entire jewelry collection. I would also love to hear about your everyday jewelry favorites!
No comments:
Post a Comment