Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Last Call, London

I'm feeling a little home-away-from-home-sick.

I've been home from London for almost three weeks and am definitely missing it. 
For those who don't know, I studied abroad in London for a month through an art program at my university. My program focused on visiting museums, creating art inspired by the city, and some good ol' touristy fun along the way. Four plane rides, 12 museums, 211 walked miles, and thousands of pictures later - it was the trip of a lifetime. Here's an overdue post of some of my favorite memories in London.


Kew Gardens
The most magical place in all of Kew Gardens, the orchid room in the Princess of Wales Conservatory.

Victoria and Albert Museum
My favorite museum of all my London travels.
The beautiful entry way into V&A with a dramatic Chihuly centerpiece.
Jewelry Gallery - V&A, a circular spiral of gemstone rings.
I'll take them all, thanks.


The garden courtyard. I spent a lot of time sipping cappuccinos and sketching there.
My program had the opportunity to have private access to the V&A's print and drawings room. 
We were able to handle, sketch, and study beautiful antique prints.
This was my favorite, a 15th century illuminated manuscript covered in gold leaf.
London Design Week took over the V&A on the last week of my trip. This shot was from the Raphael room. A huge spinning mirror was installed on the ceiling, making it possible to see huge Raphael cartoons from multiple angles. Photography wasn't allowed here, but I sneakily captured a rainbow that was reflected onto the floor.
National Gallery
More shots from the National Gallery in my previous "Doing This London Thing: Museum Edition" post
Tate Britain 


Forgotten Faces Gallery
Frank Auerbach
John Singer Sargent 
Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose
Olafur Eliasson, Turner Colour Experiments
Color wheels inspired by the color palette of JMW Turner paintings.
My program was also granted access to the print room at the Tate Britain. This was another special opportunity. Unlike the V&A, were weren't allowed to handle or sketch the prints, just admire them. Three Lichtenstein prints are featured in the middle.
Being touristy...

If you didn't go to Harrods, did you really go to London?
Anyone who has made my acquaintance for more than 10 minutes probably knows I'm completely obsessed with macarons. Ladurée, a French luxury bakery, is renown for their macarons. Thanks to the Ladurée Cafe in Harrods (aka heaven on Earth), I didn't even have to go to France to try one!

Windsor Castle
Albert's Memorial Chapel - Windsor  


Tower of London

Westminster Abbey
Trying to get a good "ticket picture".
Photo by my friend Claire Peckham.
The London Eye

Etc.

Stunning color contrast in the Notting Hill area - full of London's own painted ladies.
A really damn good, horribly messy, burrito.
 Some of the best gelato I've ever had. It was "cookies" flavored.
 A make shift picnic in Hyde Park. Delicious food from Bourough Market - South Bank's Pike Place.
 I was able to cross seeing Wicked off my bucket list! I saw it alone while having an intense cold, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I've always considered Wicked my favorite musical, but never had the chance to see it until coming to the UK! It was wicked-amazing.
Being a dork on the 0°0° longitude like in Greenwich, while sporting my Wicked shirt.
Waves on the Thames and wind in my hair.
?
Both photos above (Black & white/ Umbrellas) are taken by Claire Peckham.

These are my two favorite pictures from the trip, and are currently the screensaver on my phone. The black and white photo is of my friends Greta, Sarah and me, while we were waiting for our boat to Greenwich. Everyone on my program was amazing, but my friends in the umbrella picture are something else. From left to right (Noa, Greta, myself, Megan, Sarah) aka (Fleur, Hibiscus, Stripes, Paisley and Monarch). In the beginning of our trip the rain was so intense that five Seattlites caved and bought umbrellas. We then gave each other silly nicknames based on our umbrella color and formed the "umbrella gang". My little umbrella anecdote may seem dumb, but I couldn't have survived this adventure without these girls. 
London will always have a piece of my heart, Seattle just happens to have a bigger piece! I miss London, but am ultimately so happy to be back in the PNW.

Coming Soon
My top 10 tips for studying abroad! 
If anyone is interested in seeing the art I created on my trip, let me know - I could do a post about it!

Shout out to my lovely friend and fellow London traveler Claire: check out her photography here!

Cheers friends, happy PSL season - I mean fall. 



No comments: